Skip to main content

Getting in a Good Workout

Workout: 3 miles easy

Here is the problem with Matt leaving for work at 6...I have to get up and run at 5.  Here is the problem with running at 5 a.m. ...it is still pitch black.  I have run a few times at this hour, but I just don't feel safe.  The entire time I am on edge.  Although temperature wise this is the PERFECT time to run I am not comfortable with it.  I could always run in the evenings, but after spending all day with the two little ones I usually don't have the energy.  That means I am stuck working out around 3:30.

Here is the problem with running at 3:30....it is BLAZING hot!!!  And while most palm trees can make anything look good they don't provide any shade!  I mean check out this tree by my house:
Um, yeah, so not only is this one ugly palm tree, but it isn't anywhere near the sidewalk, and even if it were, it pretty much only provides enough shade for a few ants.  So down the road I slowly trot wiping the sweat from my burning eyes every 7 seconds.
 And I wonder to myself, do big shade trees exist down here?  Because I don't recall ever seeing any.
So, most of the time I have to just take it super easy.  It is hard to push myself with the intense heat.  Whenever I try to do speed work I usually end up feeling sick because of the high temperatures.  It is frustrating only getting in one tough workout a week, (usually a Saturday morning) but I know how my body is, and it doesn't cooperate with the scorching sun.  So until the sun starts rising earlier, or until my husband gets a new job where he leaves at a decent hour, I am forced to to take it easy. :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

- 41

Workout:  8 miles/1:25:02 It takes 9 months to put the weight on, and it took 9 months and 6 days to get the weight off.  FINALLY!!!!!!  I am at my pre-Orlando weight.  I gained 40 whopping pounds during my second pregnancy, and I am ecstatic to say that I have now lost 41.  I worked extremely hard to get that darn baby weight off, and there were several times I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.  Thankfully, my determination won in the end.  I have expressed before on my blog that I am not a healthy eater.  Junk food is my good friend, and fruits and veggies are evil gross!! (Okay, not ALL fruits, but pretty much ALL veggies are evil.) So how did I do it?  I cut out a lot of carbs.  Not completely, but I closely monitored my carb intake.  I limited my Coke and McDonald's Sweet Tea splurges and tried to drink these sugary beverages only on weekends.  I discovered Crystal Light Pink Lemonade which I drink during th...

Kick Him in the Face REAL Hard!

Now, remember, this made the list of top 10 things I hate.  And wouldn't you know I now have to do a lot of it.  After weeks of insane knee pain I finally made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor over at the Sports Enhancement Center.  Turns out I have severe tendonitis in my knee, being caused by my hamstring, due to lack of flexibility.  The doctor told me to quit running completely for a month, and he told me I was overweight.  (LOOOONG story about that.  Maybe I'll have a post on it sometime.)  I then proceeded to cry which caused a very awkward moment (more so for him than me...you should have seen the look on his face).  So three days after my post about hating stretching and cross training it's thrown right in my face.  I am stretching everyday and doing the elliptical for an hour every morning.  I have a race next weekend that I'm running even though the doctor said not to.  Going against the doctor's orders is my...

Setting Goals

I'm always setting goals for myself.  Running goals, nutritional goals, cleaning goals, etc. (That last one is always a challenge.)  I set goals so I have something to work towards; an everyday challenge to conquer.  A couple of weeks ago I thought about what type of new goals I wanted to make.  I started by thinking of a running goal.  I needed something that would be challenging, yet achievable.  I decided I would challenge myself by trying to run at least 20 miles a week. Next, I wanted to set some nutritional goals.  Anyone close to me knows that I eat like crap.  Total crap!  In fact, I honestly can not remember the last time I had a piece of fruit.  I have just a few more pounds of baby weight to lose and I know eating better would definitely get it off.  So I set a goal to make wiser food choices and cut back on my snacking.  But late in the week I discovered a couple things about my goals. The first is, don't make ru...