Skip to main content

8K Race Review

Workout: None - Super Sore :(

So here's the latest trend - run a race with absolutely no running training.  This is the third race I've run in the past 6 months that I had to quit training because of my knee.  I did some swimming but I very quickly learned that swimming really does nothing for running a race!

The race was run in a gated community called Verandah.  This is just before the start of the race.  I was sooo excited to have Lyla there to cheer me on.  This was her first time watching mommy.  It seems that Lyla won't become a good luck charm because I did NOT run to impress.  This could very well be one of the worst races I've ever run!!  The humidity was 93%, my iPod died, my Garmin died, I had 2 burning blisters by mile 2, my entire body was tight, I got stuck running next to some old man that grunted every third breath, and I had ZERO motivation!!!  Even though I felt like major crap I refused to walk.  It can be so easy to just quit and take walking breaks, but when it comes to running I truly live by the motto "No Pain No Gain".  So with every ounce of energy I could find I just kept running along.

Finally!!!  Coming around the turn to the finish line.  I just saw Lyla and you can tell how her excitement motivated me to finish strong :)  It is amazing what a little 3 year old can do to your spirits!!  I ended up finishing the 8K (4.98 miles) with a time of 44:18, an 8:54 pace.  My first race in FL is done and in the books!  Hope I have better luck next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

- 41

Workout:  8 miles/1:25:02 It takes 9 months to put the weight on, and it took 9 months and 6 days to get the weight off.  FINALLY!!!!!!  I am at my pre-Orlando weight.  I gained 40 whopping pounds during my second pregnancy, and I am ecstatic to say that I have now lost 41.  I worked extremely hard to get that darn baby weight off, and there were several times I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.  Thankfully, my determination won in the end.  I have expressed before on my blog that I am not a healthy eater.  Junk food is my good friend, and fruits and veggies are evil gross!! (Okay, not ALL fruits, but pretty much ALL veggies are evil.) So how did I do it?  I cut out a lot of carbs.  Not completely, but I closely monitored my carb intake.  I limited my Coke and McDonald's Sweet Tea splurges and tried to drink these sugary beverages only on weekends.  I discovered Crystal Light Pink Lemonade which I drink during th...

Kick Him in the Face REAL Hard!

Now, remember, this made the list of top 10 things I hate.  And wouldn't you know I now have to do a lot of it.  After weeks of insane knee pain I finally made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor over at the Sports Enhancement Center.  Turns out I have severe tendonitis in my knee, being caused by my hamstring, due to lack of flexibility.  The doctor told me to quit running completely for a month, and he told me I was overweight.  (LOOOONG story about that.  Maybe I'll have a post on it sometime.)  I then proceeded to cry which caused a very awkward moment (more so for him than me...you should have seen the look on his face).  So three days after my post about hating stretching and cross training it's thrown right in my face.  I am stretching everyday and doing the elliptical for an hour every morning.  I have a race next weekend that I'm running even though the doctor said not to.  Going against the doctor's orders is my...

Setting Goals

I'm always setting goals for myself.  Running goals, nutritional goals, cleaning goals, etc. (That last one is always a challenge.)  I set goals so I have something to work towards; an everyday challenge to conquer.  A couple of weeks ago I thought about what type of new goals I wanted to make.  I started by thinking of a running goal.  I needed something that would be challenging, yet achievable.  I decided I would challenge myself by trying to run at least 20 miles a week. Next, I wanted to set some nutritional goals.  Anyone close to me knows that I eat like crap.  Total crap!  In fact, I honestly can not remember the last time I had a piece of fruit.  I have just a few more pounds of baby weight to lose and I know eating better would definitely get it off.  So I set a goal to make wiser food choices and cut back on my snacking.  But late in the week I discovered a couple things about my goals. The first is, don't make ru...