Skip to main content

The Really Long Race Review!

Workout:  None - too sore!!

Yesterday I ran the Bridge to Bridge 4 mile run in Peoria.  And unlike the past dozen races I have run over the year I actually trained for this one!!

BEWARE!  I went picture crazy at this event....I was in a good mood:)


I lined up at the 8 minute pacing sign, and there were hardly any people around.  I just kinda stood there looking around like an idiot.  This was a smaller race, yes, but come on, where were all the fast people??
I should've known Matt would take a picture like this.  He is having too much fun with the new panoramic setting on the iphone!!

Here is how the race went down:

Mile 1 -
We started off doing one little loop around the block - which was nice because I got to see Matt!!  We then headed off to run over the first bridge.
Slight hill here.  Not too bad, but I could feel it.  Had to work just a tad to kept a steady pace up over this bridge.
This was the view from the top of the bridge.  It was beautiful!!  I decided to stop for 5 seconds so I could get a good picture.  I just thought, well, I'm not here to win because I'm not fast enough to win.  I might as well have fun, enjoy the amazing fall weather, and get good pictures for my blog:)  Plus it was still early on in the race, and I was still happy.

End Mile 1 - 7:42



Mile 2 - No pictures here.  I spent too much time fiddling with my iPod and trying to figure out how to get it off of repeat.  I was surprised how much effort it took to run and try and figure out settings on my iPod at the same time.  I was getting tired, and annoyed, and wasting energy.  I eventually got it on shuffle which was good enough at this point.

End Mile 2 - 7:39

Mile 3 - Now I am feeling good!!  I'm barely tired, half way thru the race, maintaining a steady pace, and I'm actually enjoying myself.  Then I turn the corner and see this:


What the.....?!!!??  A hill??  I don't remember reading anything about a gargantuan hill being involved in this race.  Okay, the info said we would be running over Cedar Street Bridge.  And I suppose if you live in Peoria/East Peoria then you have been given fair warning.  But I live in El Paso, and so most of the time I go to Bloomington.  That isn't a warning for me.

 So I look at my watch and it says: 2.57 miles, 7:33 pace....and as I continue to climb that pace changes.  7:55, 8:02. 8:14, 8:33, 8:50, 9:02.  By the time I am at the top of the hill I am running a 9:27 pace, and my legs BURN!!!!!  I don't pass anyone on the bridge and no one passes me.  In fact, a group of about 8 of us ran up together which means we all gradually slowed down together:)

End Mile 3 - 8:12

Mile 4 - Why was the up part of the hill over a half mile, but the down part was only like, 100 meters?  My legs are on fire!!

End Mile 4 - 8:01, 31:34

Okay, that is 4 miles.  The end of the race.  Why don't I see a finish line, like anywhere?  Seriously!  When I hit 4 miles I was outside the stadium, and around the corner on the sidewalk.  I still had to run and extra quarter mile!!!  I asked 2 other people with garmins and they said it was definitely a quarter mile over.



Results:

Over all - 110  / 659

Woman - 20 / 357

Age division (30-34) - 3 / 62

I think my time was 33:11 for 4.21 miles.


Post race treat!  My first pumpkin spice latte in 2 years!!  It was way too hot in FL to ever get a hot drink!  It was a fun, fun, beautiful morning!!

Comments

  1. That panoramic pic is so cool! I want to run that races some time, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

- 41

Workout:  8 miles/1:25:02 It takes 9 months to put the weight on, and it took 9 months and 6 days to get the weight off.  FINALLY!!!!!!  I am at my pre-Orlando weight.  I gained 40 whopping pounds during my second pregnancy, and I am ecstatic to say that I have now lost 41.  I worked extremely hard to get that darn baby weight off, and there were several times I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.  Thankfully, my determination won in the end.  I have expressed before on my blog that I am not a healthy eater.  Junk food is my good friend, and fruits and veggies are evil gross!! (Okay, not ALL fruits, but pretty much ALL veggies are evil.) So how did I do it?  I cut out a lot of carbs.  Not completely, but I closely monitored my carb intake.  I limited my Coke and McDonald's Sweet Tea splurges and tried to drink these sugary beverages only on weekends.  I discovered Crystal Light Pink Lemonade which I drink during the week instead.  I stopped buying chips....complete

Pregnancy, Fitness, and Food

Workout:  None...yet.  But I might later.  Which is what I've been saying everyday for about the past 3 weeks!!! Hey, you all!!!!!  Guess who decided to reappear?!?!  And guess what I've been up to?  Just cooking up a little boy in this belly of mine! So, I'm 30 weeks pregnant, (31 according to the docs, but whatever) and NOTHING has gone as planned.  And when I say NOTHING I am referring to diet and exercise.  First, I had plans of running as long as I could.  My goal was to run to at least 32 - 34 weeks pregnant.  I made it to 6 weeks, folks.    6 WEEKS!!!  Then, the morning sickness hit, and it hit hard!!!!  I was sick all day and all night.  I was so crazy miserable.  And it didn't go away at the end of the first trimester.  It lasted a good 18 weeks!  Once I started feeling better I decided to just work on staying toned.  I was in the gym lifting weights about 3 days a week.  And that lasted an entire month!! That was a good month.  Pretty much the on

Kick Him in the Face REAL Hard!

Now, remember, this made the list of top 10 things I hate.  And wouldn't you know I now have to do a lot of it.  After weeks of insane knee pain I finally made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor over at the Sports Enhancement Center.  Turns out I have severe tendonitis in my knee, being caused by my hamstring, due to lack of flexibility.  The doctor told me to quit running completely for a month, and he told me I was overweight.  (LOOOONG story about that.  Maybe I'll have a post on it sometime.)  I then proceeded to cry which caused a very awkward moment (more so for him than me...you should have seen the look on his face).  So three days after my post about hating stretching and cross training it's thrown right in my face.  I am stretching everyday and doing the elliptical for an hour every morning.  I have a race next weekend that I'm running even though the doctor said not to.  Going against the doctor's orders is my form of being rebellious!  I'