Skip to main content

I Finally Raced in 2014!!

Workout: 30 minutes of strength training

A few weeks ago I ran my first race of the year.  I had signed up for a small local race to support Girls on the Run - a character development program for grade school girls.  So it turns out this is the race that almost wasn't.  This is how it went down:  I get to the race totally not feeling it.  Not a big deal.  I go grab my race packet and notice there isn't a bib number.  I ask about that, and I find out this isn't a timed race.  It is "just for fun."  Wait.  What???  Who on earth runs just for fun??  Now I'm kinda annoyed.  I did not wake up at the crack of dawn, drag my kids out of bed, and drive down to Naples "just for fun".  I don't really feel like racing to begin with so at this point I just want to go back home.  I only paid $15 bucks, and I already got my super awesome race tank, so I kinda just want to leave.  As we are walking to the starting line I think, "I don't want to race.  I'm turning around".  Just as I'm thinking this I hear, "Hi momma!!!".  I turn around and there is my daughter with the biggest smile on her face waiting for me to start.  She is jumping up and down waving at me.  Oh geez!!!  Now I know I have to do it.  For her.  I can't break that little girls spirit.  She was soooooo excited for me.  So I ran.  I tried to run hard, but it wasn't very pretty.


I chose not to run with my Garmin and just run by feel.  The good thing about this race is it showed me where my fitness level is at the moment.  I am trying to make running more of a priority now to get back into shape.  Now that we have lived here 6 weeks I think I need to stop using the "we just moved" excuse.


A great feature about this race - LOTS of kid activities.   Lollipops Kids Spa was there doing nails!  How fun!!  There was also a craft table which Lyla loved!!  And the best most awesome thing was the race tank I mentioned earlier.  So check it out below (post race frozen caramel from Panera:))!!


This is seriously the most comfortable tank EVER!!  However, I had to exchange my M for an XL!!!!  Clearly they made these for teenagers because I really don't consider myself to be an XL.  A huge thank you to my daughter for helping get my butt out there to run.  Without her I probably would have walked back to my car.  My next 5K is in 6 weeks, and I am hoping to not only be in a better frame of mind, but to be in better shape!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pregnancy, Fitness, and Food

Workout:  None...yet.  But I might later.  Which is what I've been saying everyday for about the past 3 weeks!!! Hey, you all!!!!!  Guess who decided to reappear?!?!  And guess what I've been up to?  Just cooking up a little boy in this belly of mine! So, I'm 30 weeks pregnant, (31 according to the docs, but whatever) and NOTHING has gone as planned.  And when I say NOTHING I am referring to diet and exercise.  First, I had plans of running as long as I could.  My goal was to run to at least 32 - 34 weeks pregnant.  I made it to 6 weeks, folks.    6 WEEKS!!!  Then, the morning sickness hit, and it hit hard!!!!  I was sick all day and all night.  I was so crazy miserable.  And it didn't go away at the end of the first trimester.  It lasted a good 18 weeks!  Once I started feeling better I decided to just work on staying toned.  I was in the gym lifting weights about 3 days a week.  And that lasted an entire month!! That was a good month.  Pretty much the on

- 41

Workout:  8 miles/1:25:02 It takes 9 months to put the weight on, and it took 9 months and 6 days to get the weight off.  FINALLY!!!!!!  I am at my pre-Orlando weight.  I gained 40 whopping pounds during my second pregnancy, and I am ecstatic to say that I have now lost 41.  I worked extremely hard to get that darn baby weight off, and there were several times I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.  Thankfully, my determination won in the end.  I have expressed before on my blog that I am not a healthy eater.  Junk food is my good friend, and fruits and veggies are evil gross!! (Okay, not ALL fruits, but pretty much ALL veggies are evil.) So how did I do it?  I cut out a lot of carbs.  Not completely, but I closely monitored my carb intake.  I limited my Coke and McDonald's Sweet Tea splurges and tried to drink these sugary beverages only on weekends.  I discovered Crystal Light Pink Lemonade which I drink during the week instead.  I stopped buying chips....complete

Kick Him in the Face REAL Hard!

Now, remember, this made the list of top 10 things I hate.  And wouldn't you know I now have to do a lot of it.  After weeks of insane knee pain I finally made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor over at the Sports Enhancement Center.  Turns out I have severe tendonitis in my knee, being caused by my hamstring, due to lack of flexibility.  The doctor told me to quit running completely for a month, and he told me I was overweight.  (LOOOONG story about that.  Maybe I'll have a post on it sometime.)  I then proceeded to cry which caused a very awkward moment (more so for him than me...you should have seen the look on his face).  So three days after my post about hating stretching and cross training it's thrown right in my face.  I am stretching everyday and doing the elliptical for an hour every morning.  I have a race next weekend that I'm running even though the doctor said not to.  Going against the doctor's orders is my form of being rebellious!  I'